Testing materials - subclasses
What is this about
Czechia and Slovakia are small countries - and we are therefor „small“ DnD community. For almost 30 years, we were dreaming of having DnD in our language - for many reasons (licence, money...) it wasn’t possible. Now it is. Small but entuziastic and very community positive publisher offered us, DnD fans, to publish a DnD 5e based game, if we deliver the content.
But since the DnD 5e licence doesn’t cover all the book’s content, translation is not enough - we have to make a lot of our own content to supplement stuff which is not in open licence. Subclasses are one kind of such content.
We want “Caves” to have full DnD 5e compatibility. We plan to add few alternative and additional options (simplified movement rules, lite social conflict guidelines, alternative downtime mechanics, ...), but otherwise, we want our friends around to enjoy the DnD we know.
Why we need your help
But, as you might know, creating stuff for others is not easy. We need to betatest it. And since our community is probably not large enough to betatest 34 new subclasses (and 1 brand new class) properly, we do need your help.
In exchange for your help with testing this material, we promise to share the final results with you in English again - both our final subclasses and our alternative and additional rules and mechanics. (We know it’s not that much, but it is what we can give.)
How to help us
We know that not everyone will have time / energy to play our materials. That's fine! We will be glad for your "after-reading" feedback as well! Just click the "feedback after reading" link in the PDFs and tell us what you think. Of course, if you actually try to play it, it will be much more helpful.
Fluff text in all materials is limited due to our limited resources. We believe and hope that the stylization and intended feeling of all subclasses should be clear from their name and introduction. If not, ask (see bellow)!
Some subclasses use rules which are not part of this material (especially rules for downtime) - in all such cases we’ve added few notes on how to handle it during the game and we hope you will be able to improvize it (we do appreciate your experiences with it). It is just a few things, really.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, ask us! You can reach us directly here or at our home portal (ignore the language, just write in English into the linked discussion) - or you can try to catch us everywhere we posted this material: DnD Reddit, EnWorld, RPG.net
Please help us share this materials!
No matter if you can take part in testing, please share this material as much as you can. Especially between other players, but if you could help us to reach Wizards themselves, draw their attention and get their help with spreading it, that would be absolutely awesome! (@mikemearls or @JeremyECrawford on Twitter are probably those we want to get to notice...)
- Veteran - Soldier, city guardian, street mobster
- Shooter - Archer or crossbowman, William Tell, Robin Hood, long range fighter
- Chieftan - Liuthened, combat line officer, tactician, battle commander
- Wanderer - Aragorn, Middle-earth rangers, environment blending scouts and wariors
- Guardian - pretorian, guarding knight, bodyguard, defender
- Storm Giant - warlocks who gained their power from Storm giants as their emissaries, agents, spies and seekers of signs in the world
- Ancient Dragon - Dragon’s servants and cultists, draconic onvois and interpreters of world of lesser creatures
- Lost Master - Your patron used to be mortal. Then, something happened.
- Circle of Herbs - Panoramix, druids transferring their magic into potions, druids coexisting with civilization.
- Circle of Calamity - Everyone loves nature’s caring face. Druids of the circle of Calamity study the less friendly one.
- Circle of City - city as jungle, druids linked to ecosystem of civilization, from its rat and dirt filled undergrounds to its shiny palaces.
- Circle of Stars - mystical druids, druids linked with prophecies and destiny of the world
- School of Scrolls - academic wizard, university librarian, magical pundit, theorist and magical nerd
- Field Scholar - adventuring wizard, magic university archeologist, practical scholar, no-nonsense magician, country wizard, Mustrum Ridcully (earlier books), 18-19th century british adventuring lord
- Mentalist - sword&sorcery mages (mainly), mind masters, dominators,
- Juggler - juggler, acrobat, joker, member of group of traveling entertainers and/or actors, public performer
- Tomb Rider - Lara Croft, Indiana Jones, Daniel Jackson, Willy the Fog, Rick O’Connell (the one from Mummy, no need to google it)
- Grey Eminence - Cardinal Richelieu, Godfather, Moriarty
- Simonist - False priests, relic merchants
- Alchemist - traditional western "material" alchemist, magical scientist and engineer